In our book Balsham, a village story 1617-2017, we described some of the place names of Balsham and where our research showed an origin. We’d love to know if you have stories to tell us about the name of a place you know in the village, perhaps a house or landmark? Get in touch by email by clicking here.
Burrell Way Named after Canon Burrell, Rector of Balsham (1910-1934). Formerly called Back Lane, renamed in 1964.
Cambridge Road Leading to Cambridge, once called Porte Way.
Dolls Close Formerly owned by Christian Charles Tyler Doll, architect and trustee of the Prince family. Dungate Lane Road leading to a farm, which was built on the site of the Dun Gate at Fleam Dyke.
Fox Road Originally called Fox Field in enclosures.
Goodliffe Avenue Named after the Goodliffe family who lived in ‘Robins’ and sold some of their land for development.
Horseshoe Close Once the site of ‘Horseshoe Villa’ with the new housing built in a horseshoe shape. May’s Avenue Named after the May family who were owners of land and benefactors of this parish. Nine Chimney Lane Small lane leading to Nine Chimney House.
Old House Road Road leading to Plumian Farm, also known as Old House Farm.
Plumian Way The land and farm were endowed by the Plumian Professor of Astronomy, Cambridge in 1801.
Princes Close Land formerly owned by the Prince family who were once well known as generous benefactors to the Parish.
Sleford Close Named after John de Sleford, a King’s Clerk and Rector of Balsham 1390.
The Brambles Name of the original house on this site built in a well known bramble area.
The Rookery Large elm trees housed a rookery here to which the developers were sympathetic and built around the trees.
Trinity Close Named after Holy Trinity Church, which the Close backs onto.
West Wickham Road Road to West Wickham, formerly known in early records as Rose Green and Main Street.
Woodhall Lane Road leading to Woodhall Farm and Balsham Wood.
Worsted Lodge Wool Street Lodge, the Icknield Way crosses at this point.